Ofsted_Good_GP_Colour.jpgBfT logo.pngsheffield-hallam.pngLeeds Trinity University Logo.pngnationalteaching.png


What is the SCITT (School Centred Initial Teacher Training) approach to Teacher Training?

On our school centred ITT courses you are immersed in schools for 100% of the course. Within the first week you will start on your 3-4 day a week placement in your identified school. For the remainder of the week you will be with peers in focussed training sessions that support you to improve your teaching practice. These take place in schools throughout Bradford.

What qualifications do I gain?

When you are successful on the primary and secondary course you will gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and potentially the PGCE. This is identical to the qualifications you would gain on a university course.

What are the entry requirements?

  • You will need to be a graduate ideally with a 2.2 (Hons) classification or above. 
  • You will need to have GCSE grade 'C' (4) or above in Mathematics, English Language/Literature and Science or equivalent. 

You will need these qualifications by the time you start the course rather than when you apply.

There is an opportunity to take your equivalency tests through the SCITT as we are a test centre for English, Maths and Science equivalency testing. Contact us for detials.

Potential trainees with qualifications not from an English institution will need to identify the equivalent level of English qualification. 

What previous experience do I need?

For the school funded route we are looking for around 3 years work experience primarily with children but not necessarily in a school setting.

Who finds my school placement?

We will find your on-course school placement and is very likely to be in one of the great Bradford Schools that we work with. In 2018-19 we are working with around 35 schools. If you currently have links with a specific school or have a specific reason for wanting a placement at a particular school we can discuss that with you.

What is the difference between fee-funded and school-funded routes?

The fee-funded route is an unsalaried placement in a school (see funding below)

A school-funded placement is where you are employed by the school and receive a salary from them.

What funding is available to support me?

Depending upon the route you are following (fee or school funded) you are following there is some financial support you could get.

On a fee funded route you can apply for student loans to cover both the course fees and to your living costs from School Finance England (SFE).

How do I apply?

Applications for the Primary and Secondary Courses are through the UCAS website, ( The best way to search for us is by our postcode BD8 9QW or search for us as a provider; St Edmunds NSCC or Bradford Birth to 19. You can also apply through one of our lead partnership Schools. See our separate information sheet outlining our course codes. Or go to our Apply Now page